Skip to main content

June...kickin' off the summer

I mentioned in the previous post that we have an awesome neighborhood with lots and lots of kids.  Our kids have made many friends.  This is just a small sampling of some of the cute neighbors...all these kids live on our street and they LOVE to dress up and play superheroes.  They use bikes, trikes, the 4-wheeler, or whatever they can as bat-mobiles and other superhero vehicles.
We took the kids up the canyon one night and roasted hot dogs and marshmallows.  We left a little late so we didn't go to our usual spot but were pleasantly surprised with this little spot up Spanish Fork Canyon.  There was a river to throw rocks in.
A park to play at.
 
We went exploring over a bridge and found a rope swing that we all tried.
 
 
 
And we watched the sun go down before we headed home.
 
Brynn started climbing out of her crib at the end of April but it wasn't ever a problem.  She would stay in when I laid her down for naps and bedtime and just get out when she was done sleeping or in the morning.  But recently it became a problem.  She would cry and get out as soon as I left the room.  I've never been very good at the crying-it-out-game so I would usually go back in and rock her or sit on the rocking chair until she fell asleep in her crib (she never learned how to climb back in).  One afternoon I never heard her get out or cry so I assumed that she was just tired enough to stay in her crib.  When I went in to check on her/wake her up, I found her zonked out on the floor.  Cute, but I felt a little bad.  
Last week we got rid of the crib altogether.  Her bed is the crib mattress on the floor just until we go get a new mattress.  She doesn't stay put this way either so I usually grab a good book and read until she's asleep.  Secretly, I look forward to the peace and quiet.

Week 2 of our Summer Bucket List: the kids chose to play frisbee games.  We hit up the dollar store and found all of our supplies (minus the frisbees...we had to settle on some diving discs but they worked great!).  We played frisbee tic-tac-toe.  Stockton didn't quite grasp the three-in-a-row concept.
Then we played frisbee golf.
Molly played too, along with her little friend Joanna.  They had fun tallying up all the throws it took them to get the frisbee in the basket (we had 5 baskets).

I was a little surprised that they didn't choose to go somewhere but it was nice to stay home.  We had fun for an afternoon and this is something I can pull out again later this summer.

We met my family at the Thanksgiving Point Children's Gardens one day.  We spent most of our time playing in the water (we started and ended there), although we were able to see everything else too.
 
 
Ten little monkeys in a jungle gym.
And they loved racing the floaty-things down the little river to the knee-high pond at the end.  We spent a lot of time there too.  Molly would roll around in the sand and then go dunk herself in the pond. 
Grandpa Gene had his 60th birthday the first part of June so we had a barbecue at Eric and Heidi's. They have a very kid-friendly backyard and the kids love it.
 
They also love homemade ice cream.
Each of the 5 kids wrote down 12 memories of growing up and their dad (5 kids x 12 memories = 60 memories)...some funny, some sentimental.  It was fun to listen to them and their funny stories of him.  He's a pretty great guy and an awesome example...we are blessed to have him as our dad and grandpa.     

All of this playing and going and being in the sun sure tuckers the kids out.  A few times this summer they haven't even made it until bedtime and they've fallen asleep on the couch or during bedtime stories.  Hope they're having sweet dreams!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brynn @ 18 months

Yes, you read that right.  Brynn is 18 months old!!  She is so fun to have around the house and I haven't done a post devoted just to her for a while, so I thought it was about time. -She loves books!  She was never really that interested until sometime in the past couple months and now she can't get enough.  Sacrament meeting went from impossible to we can make it through...as long as I pack enough books for her.  This is how I often find her at night or during nap time. -She also loves blankets and towels, although she is not particular about which blanket.  She just wants something soft. She wants to walk around all over with them wrapped around her...they don't stay very well and she gets frustrated.  For that reason, I try to keep her blankets out of sight during the day. They come out when it's time to sleep. -Like my other kids, she loves her warm milk!  Actually, she'll drink it cold too. -She is a quiet one, always has ...

Kids pictures, Fall 2012

These pictures took a couple of tries to get them, the first appointment we had scheduled had to be canceled because it was so windy!  Luckily the weather held out for us, and even though it was quite chilly, the kids cooperated beautifully and the pictures turned out great! Molly, age 6 -likes to watch My Little Pony -is an awesome reader -loves breads/baked goods -happily plays whatever her siblings want to play -but also likes video games and making crafts/coloring/writing/drawing -is doing well in her gymnastics class -has so many friends -is excited about reading t he first Harry Potter -just started S enior Primary -en joys our piano lessons and gets excited to learn new songs       Stockton, age 3 -is on a superhero kick, loves to watch Avengers -but still loves his cars, especially playing them with Dad -loves warm milk -is a picky eater and has gotten even worse lately -loves to color -writes his loooong name like a...

Christmas Advent 2012

Okay, here goes... Day 1: paint clay ornaments When we cut down trees this year there were a bunch of tops already cut down just lying on the ground so we took a couple home...one for Molly and Stockton's room and one for Brynn's room.  When the ornaments were dry I hung them on their little trees. Day 2: watch the Christmas Devotional (And eat Christmas corn!) Day 3: library story time Stockton was pretty nervous to see Santa but I think he was even more scared of not telling him what he wanted for Christmas.  He's smiling but it's a nervous smile!   Brynn had no reaction.   Day 4: Santa face craft   Day 5: Festival of Lights   Day 6: write letters to Santa Stockton: "Captain America" Molly: "an easy bake oven" & "a car for Molly"    Day 7: go shopping for cousin exchange and wrap presents Day 8: North Pole Express with Moyes family           ...