Soccer is the #1 thing in Molly's life. It is time consuming. It is exhausting on many levels. But. She loves it. She is right where she wants to be. She has so many friends and I think her team is pretty unified. I think her feelings will be mixed when this season comes to a close. She will enjoy the extra time but miss being on the field and with her soccer friends so much. Justin and I are very proud of her. She worked so hard and was so dedicated to improving and it has paid off big time. She has started every single game and every single second half. She has been a vital part of the team.
*Update 10/30: High school season is over. She was sad to see it end but happy to have a little extra free time. She had so much success on the field this year and I am encouraged and hopeful for future success on this level. She had a couple weeks off and then starting practicing with the club team in Orem. She came home from the first practices super excited and happy and looking forward to playing with this new team. She is hoping she can double roster and play for the Heber club team as well. She really can't get enough soccer.
Friends are a very, very close second to Molly. In fact, soccer and friends have been pretty intertwined since her closest friends were also on the soccer team. She spent every weekday afternoon and most weekends with them as well. I recognize how important friends are at this age and am very grateful that she has chosen good friends. Molly did learn a friend lesson last fall when she was thinking that she would try to be part of a certain group of friends. This group was nice and there was nothing necessarily wrong with them but she did feel like they were a little exclusive and that she was always standing on the outside trying to get in. Once she let go of that group and found a smaller group, she has been a lot happier. I'm relieved she was mature enough to recognize the dynamic with the other group and that she realized it as early as she did and didn't spend a lot of her high school life trying to be part of a group that, while not bad, wasn't a good fit for her. (She is still "friends" with this group but just at school and I'm glad she can let go of any hard feelings so easily.)
Along the friend line, Molly is not a big fan of parties with lots of people. She prefers to hang out with a smaller group and has no FOMO when it comes to big high school parties.
Molly is a music junkie. She is always listening to music. She is actually the best dee-jay and I love when she plays her music when she's in the car with me. She likes music from a variety of genres and has several playlists that she has made on spotify. I usually do audiobooks but when I need music, I just go to her account and pick one of her playlists.
Molly is very conscientious of taking care of her hygiene. When she had braces, she would brush her teeth constantly. She was so nervous that her teeth would be stained. They weren't. She is diligent at washing her face and taking care of her skin. It really shows too, she has beautiful and nearly flawless skin. She reads and educates herself on skincare and hair care and makeup. She doesn't do a lot of makeup, just a little foundation and mascara, a little blush sometimes, and I am glad about that. It seems like a good balance. She is also interested in fashion.
She is also a health-nut. Not crazy, crazy or anything extreme but she does prefer to eat healthy. I think she has really noticed how it has helped her have more energy and just feel good overall. I have each of the kids pick a breakfast, lunch, and snack for each week and she consistently picks things like protein bars, hummus and veggies, and sushi. She is good about trying to avoid any heavier foods, especially during soccer season.
I am not sure where Molly is grade-wise since we haven't come to the end of a term yet. She got a 4.0 every term last year but has found it very tricky to keep up with school and soccer. When she is home, she is doing homework 95% of the time. She has had several late night homework sessions. She has been our kid that I have never felt the need to check up on homework-wise. She is responsible and aware of everything and when it is due and, no matter how stressed she gets, she ends up getting everything done and turned in when necessary. I feel like she will do great this term and the rest of the year.
*Update 10/30: She ended the term with a 3.8 which I think is still awesome considering the hours she spent at practice or games (everyday and sometimes, if it was an away game, until really late). She also tried to work a little here and there as well so there was that.
Molly is still working on the train but doesn't get very many shifts, a result of her soccer schedule. She gets 3 or 4 each month and that seems to be just enough for her. She is happy to get a little bit of money every other week and would like more money, but she doesn't necessarily want to or is able to work more shifts. She'll get more shifts in December when they run Christmas trains and soccer won't be such a big conflict.
Molly is currently serving as the 2nd counselor in the oldest young women group in our ward. The group of girls that I was with all last year graduated to the oldest class. They added a few girls (one senior and a few juniors) and they are all amazing and I'm so glad she has such a strong and unified class.
After a few years of Molly really wanting to watch Stranger Things, we let her do that this past year as long as she watched it with Justin. The three of us watched the newest season this past summer. Just like we knew she would, she loved it. Like, close to an obsession. She and Justin did some serious Stranger Things bonding. The other show that I gave a green light to was Gilmore Girls and she binged it so hard and so fast and I'm pretty sure she's finished the whole series a second time and probably a third.
Molly's birthday interview (given 10/30):
Favorite color: dark green
Favorite movie: Wait Until Dark or Ten Things I Hate About You
Favorite breakfast: smoothies
Favorite dinner: green Thai curry
Best friend(s): Jackie, Regan, Callie
Favorite thing to watch: Gilmore Girls
Favorite scripture/scripture story/Conference talk: "Jesus is the Strength of Youth"
Favorite book: The Naturals
Favorite game: soccer
Other kids think that I am: that i am quiet and nice
What do you like about mom: that i can talk to her
What do you like about dad: that we can be stupid together
What do you like about Stockton: he gets really excited about things
What do you like about Brynn: she's just sweet and innocent
What do you like about Ivy: she's silly
What do you like about yourself: that i work hard
What do you want to be when you grow up: something on a movie set or soccer player
What do you like to learn about: history
I want to go to: Iceland or The Boundary Waters
If I had one wish it would be: to play college soccer
Favorite thing to do: play soccer
Favorite song: Taylor Swift and Noah Kahan

Comments
Post a Comment