Ivy has become hooked on audiobooks lately. I downloaded several on her Kindle that were recommended and she really enjoyed them and now she listens to one every afternoon. It's a great outlet each afternoon when it's just her and I-we read, we do an activity, and then she always turns on an audiobook and entertains herself with something until the kids get home. I sometimes have a hard time getting her to turn them off when it's time to do something else. Her first favorite was Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle-we got really used to hearing that all day, every day.
Ivy's favorite show to watch is something she found on Netflix called Glitter Force. It's kind of like a girls Power Rangers show. Like other shows she has watched, she watches the episodes over and over and over until she has them memorized and can act them out or "play" them with anyone she can talk into playing with her. She'll tell them exactly what to say and do next.
Ivy definitely loves hanging out with Brynn and they have a lot of fun together-Brynn is also the one person she fights and argues with the most. I recognize that is just how siblings are going to be but I sure hope the positive side of this relationship is what lasts.
Ivy's growing up! She is outgrowing princesses and her favorite color is no longer pink or purple-it's blue!
Ivy's kisses-at-bedtime routine is still going strong and I love it. She has a very specific way/order of giving me her kisses (cheeks, chin, forehead, eyes, nose, butterfly/eyelash kisses, lips + a tight squeeze) when I tuck her in bed. I will be sad when she outgrows it so, for now, I do whatever I can to make sure I'm home to get her kisses.
Ivy brings home a bagged school lunch everyday. School lunch has been free for all students this year so I'm good with this. Ivy has a decent appetite for a little 6-year-old girl. She would snack all afternoon if I let her because she's always hungry. If it's a meal she likes, she has no problem clearing her plate.
Ivy loves Kindergarten and excels at it! She's doing so well and all of her test scores are way above grade level. She doesn't have any homework so I read to her as much as I can (every afternoon at lunch) and, since she's only a half-day student, she gets to bring her ipad home each day and we try to get to some of the activities on that each day. It's not required so I just have her do it when we have time or when she seems interested-I don't force it. Lately I have been having her write journal pages like Stockton and Molly did in Kindergarten at Rees Elementary. I wasn't sure how she would do since we haven't done them all year but she was so good at making complete sentences and sounding out words so that I could tell what she was writing about.
Ivy rides the bus each morning but gets picked up right before lunch. The funniest thing about her riding the bus is watching her take that first step. It's further off the ground than the rest of the steps and the combination of her big backpack (normal sized, it just looks so huge on her) and that big step has me laughing every day. She barely makes it sometimes!
Ivy is in the age where she is trying all the things. We did soccer in the fall and we'll be doing that again, she's taking a ballet class, and she is signed up for T-ball this summer. She loved swimming lessons last year and can't wait to do it again. She's trying to decide if she wants to do a tumbling/gymnastics class next year or continue with ballet/dance. She wants to do cheer like Brynn but I'll see if she still has that interest in a few years. Her interest in piano has waned and she doesn't get to this as much as she did when she first started. Not sure yet what she'll fall in love with but it's fun to watch her give them all a try-as long as it's not all at once!
Ivy weighed 38 pounds (14%) and was 14 inches tall (3%) at her 6-year-old well-check. Pretty par for course with our kids.
Ivy still has the best hair. It is so long and has natural, beautiful highlights throughout. It grows super fast after a trim. It dries straight but holds curl well whenever I curl it. It is fun to play with and she is so much better these days to not make such a fuss when I comb it.
Ivy's favorite new phrase is "JK!" She'll spin all sorts of stories and then say, "It was a JK!" Brynn recently taught her how to do air quotes so she always adds that now.
Ivy's birthday interview:
(Given April 17th)

Comments
Post a Comment